Topic: What is Social Media Security?
Social media security is the process of analyzing dynamic social media data in order to protect against security and business threats.. Every industry faces a unique set of risks on social, many of which have put organizations in the press or at the center of controversy.
Speaker: Dr. Sam Small, Chief Security Officer @ ZeroFOX
Dr. Sam Small serves as the Chief Security Officer of ZeroFOX, helping its customers implement world class social-media protection programs and supporting ZeroFOX to continuously advance its role as the innovation leader of social-media and collaborative-technology security solutions. After earning his doctorate in computer science from Johns Hopkins University, Sam was a lecturer, led an academic security research lab, and launched two security-industry startups, including Fast Orientation where he most recently served as CEO and continues to maintain a non-operational role as Chairman. In addition to his technical and entrepreneurial pursuits, Dr. Small has provided expert technology and security assessments of dozens of organizations and vendor products and conducted due diligence assessments for more than a dozen software-industry investments, mergers, and acquisitions. He has also served as an expert witness in several high-profile security, software, and network-related lawsuits. His work and research have been covered in publications including Wired, The New York Times, The Washington Post, New Scientist, CNET, ZDNet, and slashdot.
Please note new meeting schedule – February 2019
5:15 to 5:45 Business Meeting
5:45 to 6:15 Networking and Dinner
6:15 to 7:45 Speaker and Q&A
Note: Attendance for the monthly meeting is free to ISSA members, Fee for guests is $15.00 in advance, $20.00 at the door. Refer to the EventBrite registration for more details.
CISSP Study Group
ISSA Central Maryland is pleased to announce the opening of registration for our Fall 2018 session of the CISSP Study Group. As you may know, we conduct these study groups twice a year (Spring and Fall) in order to provide access to high-quality, low-priced resources to further the Information Security profession, and help our community members meet the compliance requirements outlined in DoD 8570.01. At just $450.00 our study group sessions are highly affordable even for those who are not reimbursed for educational expenses.
Dates: Tuesday nights beginning February 19, 2018 through May 21, 20189 (14 nights)
Time: 5:00 – 8:00 P.M.
Where: UMBC Training Center, 6996 Columbia Gateway Drive,Columbia, MD
Discounts available for employees of chapter sponsors.
Text: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition by Shon Harris and Fernando Maymi.. Available on Amazon.com via this link.
The registration fee includes attendance at the study group, copies of the presentations, other materials, and dinner! NOT INCLUDED are the cost of the textbook and the CISSP exam.
Reasons you should join our study group:
- Great instructors. Many of our instructors were pioneers in the information security field and personally worked with some of the people we read about in our textbook
- Low cost. Much more economical than most Boot Camps or even other comparable study groups.
- Group dynamics of a live, instructor-led study group
- Time for things to sink in. This is not a one-week boot camp. We want you to learn, not cram.
- It’s a night you don’t have to cook! We typically bring in pizza, Subway, Uno’s, Jimmy John’s, and such, so you don’t have to eat before or after you get here.
- Hang out with other smart people. J Meet and make friends with other people who are serious about advancing their careers. Enjoy intelligent conversation on topics of interest to you.
- Meet new people working in your industry. Network for recruiting or collaborative purposes.
- Earn CPEs. Already have another certification? This will likely count toward CPEs for existing certs.
- Structure. A physical class imposes a little external discipline to your study schedule. A little peer pressure to keep up with the group can be a good thing. Some people want to go at a slower pace, but most of us need a little push.
- Chapter Membership: Join ISSA within three months of class completion and the Chapter will refund the local chapter dues.
To join the ISSA Central Maryland chapter, visit:
ISSA International Home Page: www.ISSA.org
Additional information, contact:
Vice President of Education
Kevin Newman, CISSP, GCIH