ISSA Mid-Atlantic Information Security Conference
Save the date for the ISSA Mid-Atlantic Information Security one day conference on Friday, June 1, 2018 at the Universities at Shady Grove Conference Center, Building II. The event will feature a spectacular line up of speakers, a capture the flag contest and some great networking opportunities. Sponsor opportunities are still available. The cost to attend is $130 for Early Registration and $100 for Students. The agenda will be posted within the next couple of weeks. Register online at: https://www.fbcinc.com/e/ISSA-ISC/attendeereg.aspx
May 23, 2018 General Meeting
Title: Risk Management Framework Version 2.0
The NIST special publication on RMF was updated in September. We will see how 800-37 can be used a blue print. RMF promotes the concept of near real-time risk management and ongoing system authorization through the implementation of continuous monitoring processes; provides senior leaders and executives with the necessary information to make cost-effective, risk management decisions about the systems supporting their missions and business functions; and integrates security and privacy controls into the system development life cycle. Applying the RMF tasks enterprise-wide helps to link essential risk management processes at the system level to risk management processes at the organization level.
Speaker: Tom Volpe Sr.
With over 26 years of commercial industry and governmental experience in information security, software assurance and development, network systems security, project and program management, secure application development, system engineering and testing, a B.S. degree in computer science from Loyola College in Baltimore, and specialized experience in secure application development. Mr. Volpe has performed efforts that focused on ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools. As a Risk Analyst and Sr. Security Assessment and Authorization (SA&A) Principal on various projects, Mr. Volpe has excelled in security package preparation and review process for many government and commercial clients. Mr. Volpe has lead multiple software security assurance efforts at various government agencies and produced developer-oriented process frameworks for integrating secure code review scanning and analysis into the systems development lifecycle.
CISSP Study Group
ISSA Central Maryland is pleased to announce the opening of registration for our Fall 2018 session of the CISSP Study Group. As you may know, we conduct these study groups twice a year (Spring and Fall) in order to provide access to high-quality, low-priced resources to further the Information Security profession, and help our community members meet the compliance requirements outlined in DoD 8570.01. At just $450.00 our study group sessions are highly affordable even for those who are not reimbursed for educational expenses.
Dates: Tuesday nights beginning September 4, 2018 through December 11, 2018 (14 nights)
Time: 5:00 – 8:00 P.M.
Discounts available for employees of chapter sponsors.
The registration fee includes attendance at the study group, copies of the presentations, other materials, and dinner! NOT INCLUDED are the cost of the textbook and the CISSP exam.
Reasons you should join our study group:
- Great instructors. Many of our instructors were pioneers in the information security field and personally worked with some of the people we read about in our textbook
- Low cost. Much more economical than most Boot Camps or even other comparable study groups.
- Group dynamics of a live, instructor-led study group
- Time for things to sink in. This is not a one-week boot camp. We want you to learn, not cram.
- It’s a night you don’t have to cook! We typically bring in pizza, Subway, Uno’s, Jimmy John’s, and such, so you don’t have to eat before or after you get here.
- Hang out with other smart people. J Meet and make friends with other people who are serious about advancing their careers. Enjoy intelligent conversation on topics of interest to you.
- Meet new people working in your industry. Network for recruiting or collaborative purposes.
- Earn CPEs. Already have another certification? This will likely count toward CPEs for existing certs.
- Structure. A physical class imposes a little external discipline to your study schedule. A little peer pressure to keep up with the group can be a good thing. Some people want to go at a slower pace, but most of us need a little push.
- Chapter Membership: Join ISSA within three months of class completion and the Chapter will refund the local chapter dues.
To join the ISSA Central Maryland chapter, visit:
ISSA International Home Page: www.ISSA.org
Additional information, contact:
Vice President of Education
Chuck Dickert, CISSP, CISA, CISM, CAPM\
Congratulations to the ISSA Central Maryland Chapter for being selected as the
2017 Mid-Size Chapter of the Year